Here is a picture of Hoppy in happier days....
Days never go quite as planned, do they?.....
Yesterday I had a ton of errands to run and a few details to follow-up on for Mike's birthday surprise. I made reservations to bring him on a casino cruise out of Gloucester. In the middle of my errands, I looked in on my bunny, Hoppy. I immediately noticed that he looked ill. He had a few strange looking poops in his cage & he didn't hop up to say "hello". I was surprised because he looked fine the night before.... My first thought was, "arghhhhhhhhh, I don't have time for this..." I still didn't think it was anything too serious, thought maybe he was just having a "bad hare day." lol, ok sorry for the pun, but I couldn't help it. I decided to give the vet a call....
Our regular vet said he needed to be seen immediately by a vet who specialized in exotics. A few hours later, with the kids packed up in the van, we arrived at the clinic. It was only then that I realized how sick Hoppy was. For some reason he developed diarrhea. She said it could be his diet, bacteria, stress, or eating something he shouldn't have. I thought let's give that lil guy some immodium and get him home. She told me this condition is very dangerous to rabbits & can kill them. She gave him some fluids, gave him some antibiotics (in case it was caused by bacteria), and she gave me some special food 'Critical Care' to feed him by syringe at least 3 times a day. Unfortunately, Hoppy didn't respond well to the treatments and I could see he was slipping away. I had a heavy heart when we left at 5:30pm for the casino cruise.
We ended up having a good time on the casino cruise. It was $20.00 per person to board, the price included an all you can eat buffet & entertainment. We won and lost our money many times in a few hours. (Hmmmm, I should say MY money, lol. I gave Mike fun money to gamble with as part of his present) It was a perfect night for a cruise. The air was warm, the sea was calm and there was a full moon. The ship pulled back into port at 11:30pm....
When we came home I went to get Hoppy to attempt to feed him again. But Hoppy was lying in his cage dead. My poor Hoppy, just shy of 1 years old, went to the happy carrot patch in the sky..... I will miss that little creature. I will miss him begging for toast or cheerio's every morning, I will miss the way he always hopped up to us to say "hello" whenever we walked near. He loved to be held and scratched behind the ears. He was the most gentle, laid back bunny I've ever known. Around midnight last night under a full moon, we buried Hoppy. I pulled one of my baby carrots from the garden and put it in with him....
This morning the toddler's got up before me. They went into the kitchen and poured the entire box of Kelloggs "Mud & Bugs" cereal into 2 dirty plates and were eating popsicles for breakfast. The first thing 22 month old Mikey asked me was "Ere Hoppy?" and then Sammi chimed in, "Where is Hoppy Mom? Is he at the Drs?" Still being in my sleep induced fog and trying to take in the mess they made, I said "Yes, he's at the Drs" but then I stopped... I have some explaining to do, they still need to say good-bye to their furry little friend too.....
19 comments:
Oh how terrible. I'm sorry for your loss. Pets make up part of your family and it definetly is hard to lose a part of your family... I hope all gets better and the wee-ones take the loss okay. I know my daughter would be upset if she lost her puppy... Take care...
http://journals.aol.com/perkysgrl/APickleForYourThoughts
I can't believe Hoppy is gone. Holly will be so sad. We'll keep you all in our prayers. That being said...have I got a bunny for you...Licky is all yours and I'll include the shipping!
Awwww, poor Hoppy!! I had to laugh at your entry at points though because your puns were just too funny NOT to laugh!! You deal with sorrow the same way I do, with a bit of humor thrown in. I would just tell the kids the truth, it is always best for them, and they actually accept it better than we do as adults. I don't know why, maybe it's because they are actually "closer" to God since they just came from there, and they know where the person/animal/bug is going, but they usually do handle it just fine. I'll eat a carrot in Hoppy's memory!
Hugs and love, Lisa
ooh that is so sad about the bunny. It's hard when a pet dies no matter what kind of pet.
Sounds like a good time on the cruise, though.
~Heather
http://journals.aol.com/emeraldcalf/ThisnThat
How funny... hare today! Great sense of humor! Shana
I have to say, I just found your column recently so I feel like I'm just getting to know you. I do enjoy your sense of humor (as it's just like mine). That said, I'm sorry about Hoppy. So sorry in fact that it brought a tear (and I didn't even know you had a "Hoppy"). However the cruise sounded like a blast. We love doing things like that, too.
awww. so sorry for hoppy and you all. losing a pet is always very hard. :( I had 3 rabbits, though they were outside ones. Can I ask what hoppy died of??
I am glad the casino thing went really well, and that you had a good time. It sounds like it was really great. :)
im sorry about your bunny. he has gone on to a better lace. (rabbit heaven), filled with all the carrots he could eat and all the bunny playmates he could want. I had a dog that died 2 years ago his name was rufus. now im 12 and have a new dog named rufus after my old dog. Well at least you had a good time at the casino.
OH GOD YOU BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES DAM ABOUT THE CHILDREN WITH THE CHERRIOROS TELL THEM OF HIS PASSING THEY WILL LEARN THAT DEALTH IS NOT TO FEAR AND ITS ONE THING PROMISE TO ALL THAT HAS LIFE MY BLESSING OUT TO YOURS AND YOU
Just discovered your "journal". You are hilarious! Have you ever read books by Janet Evanovich? The Stephanie Plum series is great. The first book is called "One for the Money." If you ever find time to read (ha-ha) you will love these book. Definetely "laugh out loud" reading. Enjoy!
I'm so sorry to hear about Hoppy. It's always so tough to lose a furry friend and seems so much harder when there are little ones around to have to explain it to.
:( ~Peachy
I'm sorry to hear the news...that's so sad.
Awwwww... how sad. Poor Hoppy. I don't know how long most bunnies live, but I imagine one year is a short amount of time. I'm so sorry for the whole family. :(
Poor, Hoppy. I'm so sorry to hear this. This was a lovely tribute :(
I know just how you feel, I just within the week or two had to take my very first guinea pig cocoa whom I had just bought from a pet store down because of the fact that a pest control man sprayed chemicals around or into his cage accicdentally without thinking about the conceguences, take heart like you said your bunny and my guinea pig are no longer in pain
hi..dont know if this will help, but I was told many, many years ago, that burying a beloved pet under a full moon will return love 4 times over. peace be with you.
Steve Harvey
SSGT, Ret'd..
Honor and a kind heart....
I'm so sorry for your loss. I have a friend who does rabbit rescue. She has about 100 bunnies for adoption at any given time. People abandon these sweet, loving creatures right after the novelty wears off and they realize that rabbits, just like any other pets, are a big responsibility. If you are going to consider getting another rabbit, please don't purchase one from a pet store, but go check out a rabbit rescue group in your area. There are rescue groups all over the country that can be found on the internet. Good luck, and it sounds like Happy was loved during his short time, which is more than I can say about most of the rabbit stories I've been told about.
god bless hoppy!
I am so sorry for your loss of Hoppy.God Be With You At This Time.
Post a Comment