Tuesday, April 6, 2004

Yes, My Son Plays The Accordian....

Ok...Thanks to my computer geek friend Freee : P  I, an electronically challenged individual, learned how to get Spencers music wav. here.  Thanks for your patience Freee... xo  For some reason it sounds a bit distorted/funky; but I consider it a success just being able to link it.  Accordian Blues: Click here to listen...

Spencer began playing the accordian in Kindergarten.  He could play/read music before he could read the written word.  I never intended to start him in music lessons so young, but I felt he needed a boost in self-esteem.  You see, because of frequent ear infections that caused scarring, at the age of three Spencer was diagnosed as moderately hearing impaired with speech/language delays.  Most people could not understand him, including me, unless I knew what the topic was.  Sometimes he would become so frustrated trying to communicate, that he would flop down on the floor crying, "You don't hear me...."  One day Spencer came home from preschool in tears.  When I asked him what was the matter, he told me "a kid said 'ga ga goo goo' to me."  I almost cried while comforting him and decided that he needed something more.  Something more than just the speech therapy he was receiving.  So I decided to sign him up for piano lessons, Spencer had other ideas.... 

We walked in to sign him up for piano lessons & Spence walked out with a little blue accordian instead.  He instantly took to the accordian and often would fall asleep with it strapped to his chest.  After only playing for a few months, he would bring it into Kindergarten to perform for the other kids.  As he progressed in his speech therapy and music, he bloomed into a child who wanted to participate in life instead of just observe on the sidelines.  By the end of first grade (age 7) it was no longer apparent that he was speech delayed.  That was also the year he won his first trophy competing with his accordian.  He played the "Too Fat Polka."

Fast Forward to last weekend:  Spencer is still playing his accordian.  For the past 10 years we have gone to the Marriott in Newton for a weekend of competitions and performing festivals.  Over 3,000 students and their families from all over the east coast attend this weekend.  This year Spencer won 3rd place in his standard category and 1st in the pop category.  He's especially proud of that one, because it's his fourth year in a row winning 1st in that category.  He is involved with a progressive music studio that encourages kids to not only learn to play an instrument, but perform.  The band he's currently in has toured/performed in Ireland, San Diego, Disney World (6 times), last year they went to Quebec Canada and this year it's off to Little Bavaria in Frankenmuth, Michigan.  

I always worried that as he got older the accordian wouldn't be cool.  Maybe a reason to tease?  But that's never been the case.  He's popular because of his ability to play.  Maybe it helps that he's also a 6' 200lb athlete? lol   He got a standing ovation the last time he performed at the school, kids throw money in his case.  His friends who play the electric guitar & drums come over and jam.  And probably most important when you're 16 yrs old?   The girls just love a musician....    

::::Ok, brag over..... passing out the puke bags, lol::::

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how to do what you are requesting.  You could get the aol by phone (they have a 30 day free trial) and record him that way.  That's how some people get their audio entries.  Can't wait to hear him!

Anonymous said...

The accordian? I have to admit I've tried my hand at it. I figured I' an accomplished pianist so how hard could it be. LOL! Trust me, you don't wanna hear me play it. ;-) And I'm afraid music files are a little out of my depth as well. I suggest you buzz Erick (Noir Tec). He knows EVERYTHING!!! Seriously!

Gregg

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I'm excited to hear!  Check your email.  Hopefully that helps.  Let me know.  Great pic! xo

Anonymous said...

He looks down with it!  Hope you get it working on here soon, would be great to hear him play.  =P

Anonymous said...

I cant help on that one but contact karensull12 and she will be able to I am sure.   John

Anonymous said...

I can't help...but I am looking forward to you getting it figured out.  
~Tina

Anonymous said...

ahhh...still having problems with the WAV file...if you find a way...let me know..I once tried to get a WAV file attached in my entry as well.  Couldn't figure it out.  I knew it would be some kind of code...but, I wouldn't know a thing like that, without it being told to me.  

Your son looks absolutely adorable with that accordian on his knee!

I want to shout "Mazoltov!"  and I don't know why....
xo take care! and good luck :)

Anonymous said...

Very impressive!  :)

Anonymous said...

I love it!  Congratulations to Spencer for his awards.  

Anonymous said...

Awww  ::teary::  That first paragraph got me choking!  Poor little Spencer.  And I actually got a chuckle out of the fact that he picked up the accordian for self-esteem.  Because sometimes the accordian CAN be another reason to tease... well, it USED to be.  But I know some kick-@ss accordian players.  That's a serious instrument!  I'm clueless when it comes to handling it - or even being around it.  lol  

Argh, I can hardly wait for the audio portion of this entry!!!  [I could use an accordian on my CD - any chance you guys will be coming out west?]

Anonymous said...

That's a great story!  Very heartwarming too.  Pretty cool that he could read music before actual words, I'm impressed.  I used to be able to when I played the flute in jr. high.  I didn't continue to play though.
Dallis wants to learn to play the guitar, and her daddy bought her one last year for Christmas, so we'll see, lol
Love, Penny

Anonymous said...

YAY!!  Sounds great!  Very cool - way to go Spencer! :)

Anonymous said...

I think it's awesome that Spencer is so talented.  I've heard Accordian's are very difficult to play.  And you know what, Michelle?  You're allowed to brag...we all do it when it comes to our kids.  =)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed, he's really good!  Studying a musical instrument really takes genuine interest and perseverance and he looks like he got those in spades.  I'm sure he's being a strapping athlete helps, but I think he would have been popular just the same just on the strength of his accordion-playing ability.

I'm so glad the music has brough him out of his shell.  And most importantly, that he's found something to do that he loves!


Anonymous said...

GREAT PICTURE!!!
What a wonderful young man.  You have EVERY reason to Brag. This is Great!!!
Congratulations to Spencer on the success.
:) Kate

Anonymous said...

YEA!!!
HE sounds wonderful!!!  such a pro!   great job Spencer :)  and gloat all you want mrs. songbird, it is well deserved. :)

Anonymous said...

cool.makes me wanna polka for some reason....http://journals.aol.com/bernmilo/WAYNEATOPICTURES

Anonymous said...

10 years of playing the accordian is just plain dedication.  I remember when I took piano lessons & then one day, I just stopped.  I wish I had the same dedication as your son.

He totally sounds like a winner.  -=)

Anonymous said...

We love accordian music. We have several Oktoberfests here in Oregon one in particular always has great accordian band.  The two we like the best are Those Darn Accordians and Brave Combo. They do covers of Rock and Roll with a little UmPahPah added.

Anonymous said...

Hey, that kiddo can play!!!  And shoot, if playing the accordian gets you trips to Ireland, sign me up!!  LoL

Anonymous said...

what a neat talent! great story!

Anonymous said...

I read your post.  Sounds like a really great kid.  let me know when you are playing at Frakenmuth; I live in Michigan and would love to meet you and see your son play, work permitting!!!
Debbie0720@aol.com

Anonymous said...

WTG Spencer!  You rock!  My 3yo and 18 mo old were dancing to your wave!  

Hi Michelle!  My name is Lisa and I am 39 years young.  I have a 13 year old step-son, 3yo daughter and a an 18 month old son.  I am also married to a Mike!  LOL  We have been married for 4 years this month.  

Anonymous said...

We have a lot in common-- I too have a sixteen year old and a 22 month old (and a nine year old).  I think that nowadays kids think any instrument is cool to play.
love, Kas

Anonymous said...

spencer is awesome! what a great mom you are!
   have a good day
    pamela

Anonymous said...

Spencer, I really enjoyed your music.  I am learning to play the accordian too on my own.  I am a musician and have played for many weddings and a couple of funerals and many religious occasions.  I would have to practice a lot to be able to play the song you did even though I am advanced on the piano.   I have two children grown and 2 grandchildren who I don't get to see hardly anymore because they are on your end of the country in Delaware.  Keep up the good work.  Linda D.

Anonymous said...

BLESSING TO YOUR SON GIVE HIM ALL THE SUPPORT YOU CAN HE SOUNDS GREAT SOON HE WILL BE MUCH MORE HONOR AND VERY FAMOUS DONT DOUBT THAT. SOME TIME AGO MY SON WHO IS NOW 26 WHEN HE WAS 5  HE HAD EYE TROUBLE  WHICH  LEAD TO GLASSES HE WAS PICK ON IN SCHOOL CALLED FOUR EYES AND YOU NAME IT I TOLD HIM THAT HE HAS TO WEAR GLASSES BECAUSE HIS BRAIN IS TO SMART FOR HIS EYES AND THIS MAKES HIS EYES WEAK SO TRUE OF THAT TODAY HES AN ARTIST AND HES BEEN TO PLACES TO SHOW OFF HIS ART AND THE MONEY CAN NOW BY HIM CONTACTS BUT HE RATHER KEEP HIS GLASSES TO REMIND HIM OF THE ONE DAY WHEN I TOLD HIM HIS BRAIN WAS REALLY SMART SO SMART THAT THEY MADE HIS EYES WEAK LITTLE THING ARE BLESSINGS THAT WE PASS AND DONT LOOK APOUND IT WITH OUT DOUBT YOUR SON WILL BE A FAMOUS YOUNG MEN SOON IF AREADY HES NOT SO GIVE HIM A HUG AND THANK GOD FOR SMALL WONDERS ITS BEAUTIFUL TO HAVE A CHILD WITH A SPECIAL NEED THAT MAKES THEM SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT AND EXTRA SMART! ( PS )SEE THE MOVIE RAIN MAN