It seems that Mother Nature has decided to play an April fools joke. This is day two of torrential downpours & it's not supposed to stop until tomorrow night. Normally I wouldn't complain about rain; if I don't have to shovel or scrape it off my car, it's all good. However these rains have been relentless & because of the sheer volume everything is beginning to flood. The ground has not thawed yet, so the rain has no where to go. On the upside, we currently have lake-side property, hmmm...wonder if our taxes will go up? Unfortunately the newly formed lake that surrounds our house has decided it wants to come in, so our basement is filling up. We have a sump pump going, but it's having a hard time keeping up. I need to do laundry tonight (we are going away this week-end) but I'm afraid to use the dryer. It's sitting in a few inches of water. Guess it's off to the laundry mat for me tonight, but I refuse to go until AFTER Survivor.
Oh, and did I mention that our NEW roof is leaking? It's more like a mini Niagra falls in our back hallway. I've been keeping my eye out for the Maid of the Mist boat. Thinking we may need to hitch a ride before the night is over. The water is coming down the 2nd floor stairs and there is a steady stream of nasty brown water coming from the ceiling. The water is now creeping under our back door and into the house. I have Bounty papertowels jammed under the door in a lame attempt to keep the water out. Hey, Bounty *the quicker picker-upper* isn't quite cutting it, lol. We contacted the roofers at noon & they said they would be here today or tomorrow morning. Well, it's 5:30pm & no roofers. This can't be good. ::sigh:: Looking for the silver lining in this very dark & wet cloud. Well, we did need to have the back hall painted. Ok, going to find my galoshes and paddles. It's gonna be a long night here.
16 comments:
We used to get rain like that back in NJ....and it's something I do not miss!
lol, i know you don't find it funny now. BUT, if you had hired Jeff's brother you wouldn't be having this problem!!!!! would you like his # ??? lol, smile it could be worse.....just haven't thought how yet! : )
Sorry about your roof. I know how it is. Good luck
Sorry to hear about your miserable weather and all the trouble it's causing. We're almost in a drought here in Atlanta. It hardly seems fair. I hope your roofer comes soon. There's nothing worse than a leaky roof to ruin so many things in your house. I will be wishing warm sun rays your way...
Oh yuck, Michelle. I'd be going absolutely nuts. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. For some reason I've always feared a leaky roof. Keep those babies dry! =)
Man, this totally stinks! I here ya' about the rain though, it has been doing that here for 3 days and it doesn't seem like an end is in sight! At least the grass seems to be getting greener though, that's my silver lining. And, your very own waterfall in your house? That is terrible! Just wear your fishing waders and try to make it "fun". NOT!
Hugs and love, Lisa
Oh, michelle! Had a leak just like that in Stephen's room last year! We woke up in the middle of a heavy rain storm to go check on him to find that his bed was soaked from a major leak above his bed! My husband couldn't fix it till it quit raining...it rained for days! I hope you're able to have it repaired soon. Love, Mia
Oh God!! Hope you don`t have to wait too long for roofers!!
Vince
It has been raining here for a week and I stopped whining about it when I saw that it was going to SNOW on Sunday! It's April!!!!! WAHHHHHHHHHH~
Yikes, sounds like you live IN the lake, not just next to it. Gosh, this story reminds me of growing up back in the Philippines when we have typhoons. The river next to our house would overflow and all the houses in the low areas will be flooded.
We let neighbors into our house because it's high enough to keep dry in spite of the incessant rain. One time the water was just feet from the house, and that scared the daylights out of me. I had visions of the house floating down the river!
Oy... you're swamped over there. Literally. LOL New roofs can be a pain. Sometimes old nail holes pop up or flashings aren't done right. Have you gone into the attic, to see if you can find out where it's leaking exactly? If it's in a valley, it's most likely bad flashing. Either way, stupid roofers outta hurry up!! Mold claims are high and it'll be their responsibility. Grrr.
Let's hope the rain stops soon. And keep your head above water, ya hear? :P
ahhh...so much stuff goin' on! sorry about that...someone said it breeds character though...I think that person was hanged. ha ha...
I have been going to the laundry mat and to my sister n laws house for about a month...dryer has been on the fritz. that's my *sigh*
take care and keep dry! :)
I can't believe it's actually stopped raining for a few hours. Yeah, right. exit, rain. enter, snow. April "showers" are going to bring frozen May bulbs pretty soon!
Hope you got everything taken care of before you left for the weekend. And I hope you had a great weekend ... where did you go? Keep us posted. :)
Michelle...I hope you have all of this taken care of by now....that's an April Fool's joke that is too cruel...It is amazing how you can write a journal entry while you are in the middle of it!
~Tina
WOW, I'd be freaking out! LOL
GL with the repairs.
http://edit.journals.aol.com/fuzzypanda68/ItsmyLife
Post a Comment